Friday, June 26, 2009

We had dog heads for lunch!





























Okay, so maybe they're not REAL dog heads, but as you can see they are onigiri and made quite a delightful lunch, along with egg rolls and stir fry veggies. This was my first attempt at making onigiri (white rice balls with filling) and I can see how they can become addictive, if only for the joy of rolling and playing with hot sticky rice! The dogs were stuffed with tuna and mayo (surprisingly yummy, I wasn't sure how tuna would taste with rice) while the chickens (yes, those are chickens) held scrambled egg (which reminded me of Loco Moco, a hawaiian dish made with rice, egg, and gravy). I also made egg rolls-my second try- and nearly smothered my dad (as he joked, I hope!) with smoke from the deep frying. (A few open windows remedied this within a few minutes.)
I got carried away and made rather a lot of food, but I figured, what could be better for bento making than having leftovers on hand? It didn't matter though, we neatly polished everything off (my mom, dad, and myself). It was a winwinwin situation: my dad didn't have to take us out in order to eat asian cuisine, my mom didn't have to cook or clean, and I got to do whatever I wanted in the kitchen and call it art! :) Hee hee

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I TOTALLY see them as chickens! ;)

    Your bentos look great -- enjoy the journey, the creativity, and the nummy food.
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eileen: haha good to know....i was wondering there :) thanks for the well wishes, I hope you continue to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so cute bento!! I love it!!

    http://www.from-japan-with-love.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. kawaiijapan: you made my day :)

    ReplyDelete